Inscription: The Day Octagon is the oldest known fired brick building in Arizona. Built in 1877 by Lowell and Crouch for Dr. Warren E. Day, it is significant as the first surgical hospital in Arizona Territory, where Dr. Day pulled teeth, delivered babies, fitted eyeglasses and cared for the community's other medical needs. It embodies many of the features described by Orson Fowler in his book "The Octagon House A Home for All". Fowler subscribed to the idea that the octagon was the shape most closely a sphere and was, therefore, ideal for houses.
Dr. Warren E. Day was a colorful figure in the history of the Territory. His bravery and medical expertise during the Civil War gained the respect of General George Crook, who asked Day to come to Fort Verde, Arizona Territory, with him in 1873. In 1876 Day came to Prescott to establish a medical practice. He married a widow, Bridget Cordon in 1880. They had ten children. Dr. Day continued to practice in the area until the 1920's.
The rectangular portion of the Day Octagon was added in 1888. The building was later used as a commercial laundry and as offices. The Day Octagon was completely restored in 1987 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by by the City of Prescott.
Location: 34degrees 32.519 minutes N, 112 degrees 28.007minutes W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on East Gurley Street east of South Marina Street, on the right when traveling west.